Plenty of ways to get your friends or family together for a snow trip. Image:: Perisher
2012 deals | Tessa Cook
Here’s a rundown of the best deals and packages the Australian resorts are offering in 2012. Remember, this is just a sample of the packages on offer, and the resorts will be rolling out last minute specials, of-the-moment hot deals and plenty of enticing packages throughout the season.
- Purchase your lift and lesson tickets online before 31 May and you can save up to 30%.
- Here’s a great one – midweek 3 and 4 day tickets during July and August, so you can save on ticket costs even during the peak season if you ski mid week.
- A nice nod to flexibility – the 5 in 7 day ticket, from $295, no more trying to decide if you should buy the better value 7 day pass and run the risk of wanting a day off skiing.
- Plus more flexibility in lift and lesson and beginner lift and lesson packages. For example you can package a 5 day lift ticket with 3 days of lessons if that’s all you’re after.
- Buy early and you can save more at the eStore (yes, we made that rhyme, not Thredbo). This applies to Thredbo’s most popular ticket products like multi-day lift passes, lift and lesson passes and Thredbo Starter Packages. Buy 28 or more days in advance and save 15%,7 or more days in advance and save 10%.
- Another mid week deal! In selected weeks in July and August you get 15% off the 3 day and 5 day mid week passes. Valid on lift and lift & lesson tickets.
- An old favourite, the kids stay and ski free deal. For 3, 5 or 7 nights in June and September. 3 days from $ 1,282 per family, 5 days from $ 2,044 per family, 7 days from $ 2,902 per family. Family is two adults and two children under 14.
- And a new favourite, the super saver peak season packages for 3 or 5 nights including accommodation, breakfast and tickets. Particularly liking the quad share option so you can go with mates to make it better value! From $646 per person twin share and from $601 per person quad share for 3 nights. From $1036 per person twin share and from $741 per person quad share for 5 nights.
- Ok here’s big news: many 3 day or greater lift, lift & lesson or lift, lesson & rental passes have been discounted and ARE NOW CHEAPER than they were in 2011. A 5 day lift ticket cost $482 in 2011, this year it will be $424!
- And to be different, weekend lift pass specials. Valid for use on Saturday & Sunday only the peak season two day pass will be $185 per adult, $157 per youth & $93 per child and the value season will be $146 per adult, $124 per youth & $73 per child. Does not have to be pre purchased and can be purchased from 3pm Friday afternoon – we hear last-minute powder dashes happening!
- And some other good news – a peak season kids-free package. 3 Nights Lodge Style Accommodation at Viking Lodge, lift passes and rentals for two adults and two kids under 14 from $789 per Adult. Valid 27 July – 11 August 2012. So a weekend family trip… nice.
- A personal favourite: lecture free Fridays – Full-time tertiary students get 50% off adult one day lift pass prices EVERY Friday of the season. As if anyone needs an excuse to miss uni on Fridays…
- Add this weekend only deal and you’ve got a long, study-free weekend -a 2 day weekend pass for Saturday and Sunday in peak season for only $185 for adults and $93 for kids. Value season 2 day weekend pass only $146 for adults and $73 for kids.
- New savings on multiday lift passes – a 3 day lift pass for only $270 and $85 per day for adults and $43 for kids with a 5 day lift pass.
- Kids ski FREE – during Value Season when accompanied by a paying adult and pre-booked with a 3 night or more accommodation package.
- Plus under 5s and over 70s ski FREE every day of the season!
- Here’s an exciting proposition: “Buller Ski Lifts and participating accommodation houses have teamed up to offer a money-back guarantee on pre-paid accommodation packages when there is insufficient snow cover for our Ski Guarantee lifts to run. Covering a wide range of beginner and intermediate ski areas, the Ski Guarantee offers peace of mind when people pre-pay their accommodation, lift ticket and lesson packages.”
- For the snowboarders in July and August, 2 day unlimited adult lift ticket, and 2 day snowboard & boots hire, weekend from $471 per person and midweek from $431 per person – plus tertiary students with appropriate ID will save up to 20% off full adult lift ticket & hire.
- And for everyone, a deal that makes the mates trip seem totally doable: 2 nights’ midweek hotel style accommodation, full cooked breakfast daily, welcome drink, 2 day ski hire and 2 day clothing hiref rom just $350 per person (based on four people) plus, upgrade to 5 nights for $610, in value season.
- Plus Buller is the most generous resort when it comes to students. Child rates extend to all school-aged kids, right up to year 12. Then Uni students get 20% off tickets and hire, including lessons EVERY DAY – and on Tuesdays it’s half price. Thanks Buller.