Mountainwatch | Reggae Elliss
Rip Curl have been producing a global mountainwear range since 1987 and like all of its products, the technical attributes of the range are the most important element of design. The Search Series was launched last year, and it is not only a typically high-tech range but also one of the most sustainable on the market. Based on environmentally friendly construction, guaranteed 100% without PFC, the garments in the Search Series have been designed and produced using only recycled materials, has been made with a high tech 20K/20K recyclable membrane and is chemical clean. One jacket equals 18 recycled plastic bottles and the durable fabric has been made to last with two-times thicker thread and the Search Series is considered 80% stronger than standard fabrics.
I have been wearing the Search Jacket ($499.99) for the past two seasons, both here and overseas, in everything from blizzards to spring sunshine. I prefer a light-weight shell and with only 20grams insulation, the Search Jacket is light. A few weeks ago, the winds in here in Thredbo were hitting 80-90km/hr with the wind-chill at minus 20, but the wind doesn’t penetrate the bonded fabric and I was warm and comfortable with a merino base layer and mid-layer fleece under the jacket.
The men’s Pow Pow jacket ($429.99) is a little more insulated at 40gs, but is still lightweight, while the women’s Harmony jacket ($349.99) has insulation of 80gs. The women’s Amity jacket ($449.99) is the warmest in the range at 210gs with Primaloft recycled insulation. This longer cut jacket is perfect for riding in blizzards or in cold northern hemi temps like Canada or Colorado.
The pants in both women’s and men’s Search Series range are made out of the same durable fabric with the same tech specs with 20g or 40g insulation. The pants in both men’s and women’s retail at $249.99 while the men’s bibs are $374.99. The Search Series is made with the serious rider in mind, perfect for those who ski and snowboard hard, spend time in the backcountry and chase powder here and overseas.
The Search Series is available on the Mountainwatch online store. Tech points:
- – 20k Waterproof / 20k Breathable
- – Insulation: 20gm Lining
- – Warm shell jacket
- – PET recyclable membrane
- – Made of recycled fabrics, with a stiffer more durable feel to fabric
- – Made 100% without PFC’s
- – Blue Sign certified fabrics
- – Durable rip stop fabric panels down sides, on shoulders and elbow/arms
- – Critically seam sealed
- – 3 outside zip pockets
- – Zip sleeve pass pocket
- – internal glove/goggle mesh pocket
- – internal zip closure pocket
- – Inner lycra wrist cuff with thumb holes
- – Underarm zip vents with mesh backing
- – Articulated sleeves
- -Adjustable draw cord hood compatible with most helmets
- – Pant to jacket connectors
- – Rubber backed elastic powder skirt with snap closures
- – Internal draw cord toggles for option to tighten bottom of jack